Monday, September 17, 2012

Loss.

Due to recent events, I have been thinking a lot about death. Not in a morbid "I'm scared to die" way, but in more of a....an appreciative way. I have a new appreciation for life and the time we have here on this earth. Fortunately, I haven't had to personally deal with a lot of loss during the 19 years I have been on this earth. But I certainly have had to watch others deal with it and my heart goes out to them.

The crazy thing about life is that you never know when it's going to end. You never know when your last conversation will be or even what your last meal will be. That conversation you just had with a friend on the phone could be the last time you'll talk to him or her. You just never know. People die at all different ages and we never really know why. I don't think we're supposed to know why. We just need to know that it was their time to go. They did what they needed to do and God was ready to have them back. It may not seem fair to us at the time, but it's all part of God's plan.

All of this reminds me of an episode of "The Secret Life of the American Teenager." Corny, I know. But it's the episode where Grace's father dies in a plane wreck. He was going overseas and before he left he and Grace got into an argument. They were both angry when they said goodbye to each other and only a couple of hours later he was gone. She never even got to tell him she loved him one last time.

To me, that is terrifying. I never want my last conversation with someone to be based on anger, because even though it may not have been a serious argument, that person would die being angry or upset with me and I don't know if I could live with that. I don't want someone's last thought to be of me being nasty to them. I want their last thought of me to be a happy and loving one. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to die knowing someone was mad at me or I was mad at someone else.

But even though I say all of this, it still could happen. People get in stupid arguments all the time. All we can do is try to limit them. It all goes back to the whole not knowing thing again. Life is full of mysteries and death is one of the biggest mysteries of them all.

One of my close friends always says he's not afraid to die and I always thought that was a morbid thing to say, but you know what, he's right. We shouldn't be afraid to die. Death isn't a punishment, it's just God's way of saying that your mission on the earth is over and it's time to go home. God is our Heavenly Father and he loves us.

Some people may argue that they are afraid to die because they don't want to leave their loved ones. But I know that families are forever because of the love that God has for us. Think about it. Why would he divide us into family units on this earth just to split us up when we died? Not very logical if you ask me. But, to each his own!

Anyway, my point is: appreciate today. Appreciate the seconds and minutes you have on this earth. Each one is precious and each moment you share with someone is unique. We can't go back and we can't skip ahead. We have to live for the present and trust that everything will be okay.

I think Hilary Weeks says it best in her song, "If I Only Had Today."

There's no time like the present.
Life doesn't come with any guarantees.
The sun will set and time won't wait
So while I have today:
I'll hold you and listen
And I'd let the dishes sit in the sink.
I'll tell you I loved you over and over
And for once I'll just let the phone ring.
The I'll remind you of forever
And how our love would never change.
If I only had today.

Make your life worth living, appreciate those around you, and appreciate every last minute. Don't go a day without telling someone you love them. Cherish the quiet moments and make the most of the crazy ones. Our time is short so make the most of it. 

I know I will.
 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete