Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Forward.

With everything that has been going on lately, I have had to learn that the only direction I can look is forward. Looking backward only makes things worse. You can't change the past so why worry about it? The only thing you can do about the past is learn from it. There are always going to be obstacles in your life. There are always going to be things that break you down and make you want to sit on the ground and cry. But, if you decide to just keep looking forward you can pick yourself up and keep moving.

I will be the first to admit that I haven't been very good at this in the past few weeks. I haven't been looking forward. I've been too worried about the things that have happened and I haven't picked myself up and moved on. But I'm telling you from experience that it's never too late to start.

Great things will happen if you keep your head up and focus on things you can change instead of things you can't. When it rains no one ever tries to stop the rain because they know it's impossible. So why do you try and stop other things in your life that is out of your control?

I think that's one of the human race's biggest flaws. We're always trying to control things that we have no control over. I think if we all just let things happen and didn't try to mess with things we have no right to mess with, there would be a lot less stress in the world.

I really believe that everything happens for a reason. I think that is one of the truest things anyone has ever said. God has a plan for you and he knows what he's doing. He puts you in situations because he knows you can handle them. I don't think he just arbitrarily throws things at you for no reason. You meet people because you need them in your life. You lose people because they have fulfilled their purpose. You go through trials to make you stronger. You fall because you need to learn how to stand back up.

I don't believe in coincidence. Even the smallest things in life happen because they are supposed to happen. Like going to the grocery store. You decide to go the grocery store at a certain time. Why? You may never know. But maybe it was because the cashier that rung your order up needed someone to smile at her because she was having a bad day. Or maybe it was because someone you haven't seen in a while was there and you were supposed to run into them.

Yes, you have choices. I'm not saying God is controlling our brains or anything, but he did create us. He created us with minds that are absolutely amazing. The amount of information our minds can store is incredible. But what really fascinates me is the human sub-conscience. Our mind observes and thinks about things that we don't even realize we're thinking about. Our sub-conscience influences our decisions more than we know.

Your decisions make you who you are, the good ones at least. Because you're human you do make dumb decisions sometimes but I don't think those ones necessarily define who you are. They help you to grow and you learn from them, but it's the good decisions that really define who you are. And it's not the end of the world when you make a dumb decision. It's only the end of the world if you make it that way. But if you just look forward and learn from your mistakes and make good decisions instead, then I think you're okay.

Your life here on this earth is
for trial and error. You win some, you lose some. But it's your decision on how to react to everything. You can look backward and feel sorry for yourself or you can look to the future. Only you can decide what you do. Are your eyes looking toward the future? Or are they stuck on the details of yesterday?

No comments:

Post a Comment