Friday, November 9, 2012

Change.

"To improve is to change; to perfect is to change often." --Winston Churchill

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress." --Frederick Douglass

Two great quotes from two great men. But, despite how profound those words may sound coming from the mouths of an influential abolitionist and an esteemed prime minister, it's really all just common sense.

Think about it. If you are a soccer player, how do you improve? You change your technique, even if it's just a little bit, so that you are a more effective player on the field. If you are a student and you are struggling in a class, how do you understand the curriculum better? You try and find new ways to study and learn the material.

It's all about change and trying new things. Even the physical world that we live in is constantly changing. The seasons change, the tides change, the shape of our continents even change. And then there is the material world that surrounds us. Every year that goes by brings new electronics, new cars, new designs--the list could go on forever. I mean, seriously, how many generations of iPhones, iPods, and iPads are there now? And each one just keeps getting better and better, right? Why? Because Apple changes things, tweeks things, so that they can provide a better product.

We, as human beings, should be doing the same thing with ourselves. We should invite change--embrace change. I guarantee there is not one person on this earth that wouldn't like to change one thing about themselves. So why not do it? I'm not talking physical changes, like a new nose or implants who knows where. I'm talking mental, psychological, even emotional changes.

Nobody is perfect, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to be. You can be the person who accepts others for who they are. You can be the person who is kind to everyone and doesn't care about outer appearances. You can be the person who says no. You can be the person who overcame darkness. It's all up to you. Most of the time it takes just a simple change in attitude. Other times it requires major life adjustments. But whatever the case may be, you can do it. You can make the change--or as some famous person once said you can "be the change you want to see in the world."

Don't get me wrong though, change can be very difficult sometimes. Those major life adjustments can be really hard to make. I know that from experience. I am not the same person I was two or three months ago. I feel like I am a completely different person because I finally decided to make the changes that were long overdue in my life. It was probably the hardest thing that I've ever had to do, but let me tell you, it has been more than worth it.

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress."

I can't get over how true that statement really is. I feel like I have made progress because I struggled through the changes that needed to be made. Sometimes I even look back and I don't even recognize the person I was before because that really wasn't me. But I know who I am now and now all I have to do is maintain the changes that I made and invite any other change that may come my way. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

So take a step.

Make a change..

Be the person you've always dreamed of becoming.

You never know, someday I could be quoting you on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment